Friday, August 30, 2013
Monday, August 26, 2013
Palo Alto, CA — Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception. Approximately one percent of all cars tested by the federal government achieve 5 stars across the board. NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.
Friday, August 16, 2013
Ford based the 2013 Ford C-Max label on testing of the related Ford Fusion hybrid, which has the same engine, transmission and test weight as allowed under EPA regulations. For the vast majority of vehicles this approach would have yielded an appropriate label value for the car, but these new vehicles are more sensitive to small design differences than conventional vehicles because advanced highly efficient vehicles use so little fuel.
In this case, EPA's evaluation found that the C-Max's aerodynamic characteristics resulted in a significant difference in fuel economy from the Fusion hybrid.
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Monday, August 05, 2013
The Chicken Tax, like any other protection tariff, has both bad and good effects.
The average selling price of full-size pickups has grown at more than twice the rate of the overall industry — cars and trucks combined — since 2005. The average truck sells for more than $40,000, nearly $9,000 more than the average vehicle, according to automotive research firmEdmunds.com. Automakers in recent years have added more luxury items to pickup trucks — and cars, too — so it's difficult to pinpoint how much an uncompetitive market can be attributed to price.
But Jesse Toprak, an analyst for vehicle pricing website TrueCar.com, said in a telephone interview that weak competition in the truck segment results in a "couple-thousand-dollar premium" paid by consumers.
- Less consumer choice--We can't have the globally built small/midsized pickups that are sold overseas because with a 25% tariff no one would buy them.
- Higher prices--local production is done in part by UAW labor, which is more expensive than overseas labor.
- Foreign retaliation
- Local production means more jobs, and more business in U.S (and NAFTA region). If you add up direct and indirect jobs, thousands of Americans (and Mexicans and Canadians) are employed because of local truck production. Some are unionized but many are not.
- Higher quality pickup trucks. Due to the high cost of entry, only large established players like Toyota and Nissan have the means to set up a local plant to build trucks--so they have to bring high quality, high margin products. Cheap junk won't fly. Marginal brands like Mahindra or Great Wall have a hard time making a business case for low cost products, due to the high barriers of local labor costs and the regulatory environment.
Thursday, August 01, 2013
Tesla, you might want to fix that. Some little kid is going to try it and get hurt.
|Ford F-Series||367,486||+ 22.0%||68,009||+ 23.6%|
|Chevrolet Silverado||242,586||+ 24.7%||43,259||+ 28.9%|
|Toyota Camry||207,626||- 2.9%||35,870||+ 11.7%|
|Honda Accord||186,860||+ 20.4%||31,677||+ 9.5%|
|Dodge Ram||170,319||+ 22.9%||29,644||+ 23.8%|
|Nissan Altima||167,787||+ 6.8%||26,904||+ 23.3%|
|Ford Fusion||161,146||+ 17.8%||24,313||- 0.5%|
|Toyota Corolla/Matrix||158,972||+ 4.8%||26,458||- 0.7%|
|Honda Civic||158,704||- 2.4%||29,724||+ 8.1%|
|Ford Escape||156,626||+ 23.2%||28,694||+ 0.7%|
|Honda CR-V||145,763||- 0.6%||26,572||+ 14.1%|
|Ford Focus||134,785||+ 2.6%||23,144||+ 9.2%|
|Chevrolet Cruze||133,689||+ 17.4%||32,871||+ 73.2%|
|Chevrolet Equinox||126,397||+ 14.0%||23,645||+ 13.7%|
|Hyundai Elantra||126,244||+ 29.1%||22,163||+ 25.5%|
|Chevrolet Malibu||111,100||- 21.4%||21,288||- 32.2%|
|Hyundai Sonata||103,010||- 12.3%||19,454||- 7.1%|
|Toyota RAV4||101,274||+ 13.2%||20,540||+ 35.8%|
|Ford Explorer||101,243||+ 30.0%||16,597||+ 13.5%|
|Ford Explorer||95,302||+ 25.9%||15,588||+ 11.2%|
|Ford Explorer Police Interceptor||5941||+ 173%||1009||+ 67.3%|
|GMC Sierra||87,633||+ 20.1%||16,568||+ 32.8%|
- Ford: 5 vehicles (F-series, Fusion, Escape, Focus, Explorer)
- GM: 5 vehicles (Silverado, Cruze, Equinox, Malibu, Sierra)
- Toyota: 3 (Camry, Corolla, RAv4)
- Honda: 3 (Accord, Civic, CRV)
- Hyundai: 2 (Elantra, Sonata)
- Nissan: 1 (Altima)
- Dodge: 1 (Ram)