Mustang Parts
   Carrying Saleen wheels and Bullitt wheels.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Electric Delorean?

Jalopnik's Kevin McCauley was invited to test drive a Delorean DMCEV, an electric conversion applied to a Delorean chassis by the new Delorean Motor Company.  DMC hopes to build these for sale in 2013.

It will be a really cool looking car, but remember that this thing is built on a 1980's design.  It wouldn't pass modern handling or crash standards.  And chances are, it will be really expensive--because to avoid meeting the modern standards, each one of these will have to be a conversion of an existing Delorean chassis with an existing VIN.  In other words, take a rare car, and then apply expensive electronics and batteries.

I have to say, though, the Delorean is still a great looking car.

Electric DeTomaso, Pantera, anyone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was extremely excited when I heard about this news... then, I read that it was going to cost about $100,000. :(

So I bought a "normal" one! I was lucky to find a car which had spent all of its life in either a museum or a garage (less than 7,000 miles on the clock). I'm in the process of fitting a new suspension and having a moderate overhaul. But other than the things you'd expect in a 30 year car that wasn't driven frequently, it's in excellent condition. Can't wait to get it back -- it looks SO AWESOME in real life! I don't care if it's horribly underpowered -- it has the same dimensions as an Esprit S1 and looks like no other car on the road today. It's like driving a work of art.

Love your blog!