Mustang Parts
   Carrying Saleen wheels and Bullitt wheels.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Winter Safety Gear

There have been some reminders recently of how dangerous nature can be, especially in winter, including the Kim family tragedy and heavy snowstorms and avalanches in Colorado.

Everyone should ideally carry a minimal safety kit in their car, which would support basic first aid care and short term shelter. A longer term kit is a must for anyone who lives in harsh or rural areas, where help may be days not hours away.

Since I am a suburban Detroiter, my car safety kit is pretty minimal, as far as supplies go. Some of the supplies I carry:
  • Fix-a-flat goo
  • Extending lug wrench
  • Reflective emergency blanket
  • An old waterproof coat with hood
  • An old pair of glove (also comes in handy for repairs)
  • Red road flares
  • First aid kit
  • Mag-lite D-cell LED flashlight (will run a looong time)
  • Leatherman multi-tool
  • Hand sanitizer
  • $50 cash
  • Spare headlight bulbs
  • Duct tape
  • Jumper cables
  • A few MREs
  • Bottled water (in glass)
After the James Kim story, I decided to add a few MRE's and water to my emergency trunk box, just in case I was stuck somewhere far away from rescue, but I doubt I'll ever need them.

Some day, when I set aside the time, I will do the legal paperwork to be able to legally carry my 1911 in my car. Around here, the sad truth is, there is more threat from uncivilized men than from avalanches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Auto Prophet,
One of the things we are doing to help us over the sadness of the event is trying to help prevent such a tragedy from happening in the future while supporting the Kim Family.

We are working with the family on a fundraiser encouraging emergency preparedness. We would appreciate any visibility that you can give to the fundraiser which can be viewed online at http://www.ReadySmart.com

Please feel free to contact us if we can provide more information. Thanks in advance for your support.

Tracy