Mustang Parts
   Carrying Saleen wheels and Bullitt wheels.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Mighty Lincoln Towncar!

I was reading Autoblog's nice summary (here) of the November sales results, and I noticed that Lincoln did surprisingly well compared to the other luxury brands. Lincoln's sales declined only 8%. By comparison, Lexus lost 35%. The only brand to have a smaller decline was Subaru.

So I went and looked at Ford's sales number details for Lincoln, on Ford's media web site.

(Click for full size image)

Lincoln did well because of two models: MKS and, of all things, Towncar. MKS came out of the gate strong, becoming Linoln's best selling vehicle, better even than the cheaper MKZ. And somehow, Ford managed to sell 200% more Towncars than a year ago. In fact, if Towncar had sold the same as last year, Lincoln's sales numbers would be down 20% instead of 8%!

Towncar had better year-over-year results than Subaru Forester (+63%) or BMW's Mini (+43%). I didn't take the time to dig through the other car maker's sales numbers, but I am willing to bet that no single model had a better year-over-year result than Towncar.

I wonder what Ford did to sell them like that... BOGO?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lincoln is doing well in sales? I find that somewhat surprising to hear...I wonder why the desire to purchase a Lincoln?!

Anonymous said...

The Lincoln is doing well in sales? I find that somewhat surprising to hear...I wonder why the desire to purchase a Lincoln?!

Anonymous said...

Jenna, you need to see, sit in, and drive an MKS and you'll understand why it is selling well.

I have no idea why the Towncar is selling so well. Maybe fleets decided to update in anticipation of its eventual demise?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm with Shawn. Not only fleets, but old people!

Anonymous said...

Cadillac still sold more units.

I guess the "CTS bounce" caught up with GM... down from 17,000 to 8,000.

The fact that both M-B and Lexus outsold them both is simply nauseating.

Anonymous said...

The Lincoln is extremely good at breaking as the ABS does this big car justice as feel it would stop with plenty of time to avoid any nasty situations.

Used Cars, New Cars, Find your Car, Buy a Car, Sell your Car, Price your Car, New/Old car Prices, Compare Cars, Car buying Tips, Car Financing, Auto Select, Kelley Blue Book

Car Shipping said...

A lincoln eh? My grandfather had a lincoln, seems to cater to the older crowd.

Group 5 Motorsport said...

I haven't really seen any lincolns on the road.. I see tons of cadillacs though. Only Lincoln I have seen was the SUV