In Tom and Ray Magliozzi's latest Car Talk article, a veterinarian asks about pet-safe coolant (propylene glycol vs ethylene glycol). The less toxic coolant is more expensive, and is not a long-life product like the poisonous mixes that are most common. Tom and Ray point out that Califrornia and Oregon require coolant to be spiked with a chemical which will make it taste nasty, so that dogs and kids won't drink it.
This is a smart solution. For once, I agree with California's government.
But, no dogs, cats, or kids would be able to drink any type coolant if the stuff was stored properly, unless their car is leaking. People need to keep all of their chemicals sealed and out of reach, or they invite tragedy. And get the leaks fixed.